The Tuolumne County Association of REALTORS® was formed and chartered on May 8, 1956 as the Board of REALTORS® of Tuolumne County, by the National Association of Real Estate Boards (now the National Association of REALTORS®). There were five brokers and 4 salesmen at the inception. Virgil Gunter was the first President.
The Board changed its name to the Tuolumne County Board of REALTORS in 1976 and then to the Tuolumne County Association of REALTORS in 1990. 1980 saw peak membership at 334 REALTORS. At present the total is 267.
When TCAR was formed, it had no association offices, but held meetings at local restaurants. The records were kept at a local bookkeeping office. In the late 70’s the Association made its office behind where the current Heritage Dry cleaners is, then on August 25, 1980 they purchased the current location and moved there sometime in the early 80’s. In 1995 the current building was extensively remodeled and a new conference center was added.
The first Association employee to hold the title of Executive Officer was Sally Dunn who held that position from 1981 to 1983. Shortly after Sally left Traceen Perkins was hired for the position which she held until around 1990 when Delight Carroll took over the position. Delight was Executive Officer until 1997 when she moved to the executive position at the Santa Maria Association of REALTORS®. Ann Ritchie was hired in June of 1997 was the Association Executive until 2012 when she moved to the executive position at the California Desert Association. Shauna Love is currently the Association Executive.